The “Richard Pryor Response” OR What To Tell The Troll When He Calls

Jan 2016 – FOR THE UPDATED POSTING, PLEASE GOT THIS ARTICLE.  This article was from Feb 2012 and primarily deals with Steele|Hansmeier, Prenda Law, and the copyright trolls of that time period. In general, the message is that UNLESS you have to speak to the Trolls (Valid legal order, deposition, etc., I would recommend against it)Please do NOT ignore valid subpoenas, summons, or other court orders – This is a time to consult with an attorney.

This article was recently (30 Dec 2015) cite in a Copyright Troll filing (last page) – DECL_Lowe_Doc15_01406(WA)

———————————————————————————————————————-

I have been fielding more and more emails and posting from Does asking what they should do when a Troll calls. Everyone’s circumstances are different, but I think I have the initial response you should give the Troll representative. I call it the “Richard Pryor Response,” after an Eddie Murphy skit (Raw – Chewed out by Bill Cosby).

Here is a YouTube clip from it – Have a Coke and smile and shut the …….. (go to approx.4:25)

Tell the Troll representative this and only this. Don’t get mad or argumentative – that is what they want.

• 1) I didn’t do it
  • 2) The movie is not on my system
  • 3) I will fight you in court
  • 4) Have a nice day and don’t call back

Follow this as a script and DON’T talk about anything else. Anything you say will be exploited by the Troll in an effort to get you to settle.

• Tell the Troll you are worried about losing your job and I guarantee he will use it as leverage against you.
  • Tell him you own a home and he then knows you have assets he can possibly target.

Make sure you document the Who, What, Where, When, Why, & How of the conversation. Keep this information in a folder, just in case you ever need it. Be sure to add to it when they continue to call and email with threats. Documentation is key.

So what has driven the change from completely ignoring the Troll when he calls? There has been a couple of cases where a Troll requested the court grant a subpoena for a 4-hour deposition of a Doe defendant. (https://dietrolldie.com/2012/01/05/brett-gibbs-whines-an-end-to-311-cv-01566-hard-drive-productions-inc-v-doe-ip-address-173-55-54-77/ AND  https://dietrolldie.com/2012/01/16/judge-denies-troll-request-to-depose-an-unnamed-doe-but-known-to-the-troll-in-case-s-11-3074-kjm-hard-drive-production-v-doe/)  Most of these requests have been denied, but I know of one that was granted. The Troll complained to the court that the Doe defendant would not talk to them and was being evasive. The Troll said they needed to talk to the Doe defendant to fully determine if he (or others in the household) was responsible. If the Doe would have at least responded to the Troll with the Richard Pryor Response, the judge may have simply denied the request and told the Troll to move forward with naming and serving a summons. The Trolls don’t want to do this; it essentially shuts down their easy settlement efforts and they have to spend money to proceed. They also know how weak their public IP address evidence is. Can’t wait to see what comes of a deposition where the Troll “technical” experts/witnesses get questioned on their methods and procedures of collecting the public IP addresses and what they actually mean.

This entry was posted in What To Do and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The “Richard Pryor Response” OR What To Tell The Troll When He Calls

1. Doe X says:

Dietrolldie,

I have to disagree with you here. In both those cases Gibbs HIMSELF contacted the Doe… not Lutz. There is no reason to say anything to Mark Lutz. If it gets to the point where you are in a single Doe case or the sole remaining person after a case is severed then maybe you plead your innonance if the actual plaintiff attorney contacts you. How did talking to Lutz work out for Ms.Wong or the other Doe targeted because he was “combative” when first contacted? I think there is as much circumstantial evidence to justify totally ignoring Prenda as there is to answer a Mark Lutz call. Ignore Mark Lutz or get a lawyer to defend you. The sole purpose for his existence in Prenda is to manipulate people into self incrimination.

2. ilyisamsa says:

A Question.
    How long does the harassment by the Troll usually last?
    For my case, nothing has started yet (my ISP said they will send my info to the Troll by the end of February). But I am curious how long the phone calls or mail I can expect?

Thank you.

It depends on the Troll and who he hires to conduct it. In my case, it lasted may be two months. A couple calls and letters; Same old tired threats. One Doe told me the calls started up again after a few month break. It is really just an annonyance, as long as you don’t say anything that will assist them.

• Brad says:

Have they begun contacting you yet?

3. ilyisamsa says:

A Question.
    How long does the harassment by the Troll usually last?

Thank you.

Given recent development I would add to step 3 of the Richard Pryor Response “and file counterclaims” but do not tell them anything about them because they are between you and your attorney 😕

5. Rick says:

FYI the YouTube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVdCZ2G06dc) no longer works. The poster’s account was closed or something like that.

6. Pingback: FL Judge Requires 5th Amendment Like Advisement To Doe Defendants, 8:12-cv-01419, Malibu Media LLC, v. John Does 1-18 | DieTrollDie

7. Pingback: “Show Me The Evidence” – Inculpatory & Exculpatory | DieTrollDie

8. Pingback: MN Court Orders Settlement Efforts in Nine Prenda Law Inc., Case To Be Filed | DieTrollDie

9. Pingback: The Truth Of The Matter OR “Copyright Troll Crap Shoot” | DieTrollDie

10. Pingback: Lipscomb Fishing Co., or “Exculpatory Evidence Request” | DieTrollDie

11. JohnDoeLives says:

Thanks for all info DTD!
    Regarding Malibu Media and P.J. Nicoletti
    Considering Trolls’ tactical evolution to date, how does the RPR fair against current Troll scare tactics?

The RPR has not changed IMO. Now what the Troll does, you never know. Wha it does is show the Troll you are not too scared to talk on the phone and will not be an easy default judgement. The Troll will adjust his tactics for your case. You must adjust yours to his.

12. pissed off says:

got my first phone call thought it was a joke told smart ass troll to my lawyer would call him i dont talk to lawyers they tend to take stuff and use it against u i dont have alawyer and i never got a letter from these clowns itold him and hung up oh never gave them my address so i can keep saying i never got a letter im gonna use the richard pryor thing lol im disabled fixed income from government gonna get them involed im pretty pissed they can get my info illegaly and im being sued and comcast sucks for giving my shit out

13. Pingback: Troll Paul Lesko Complains Does Will Not Speak To Him, Purzel Video GMBH v. 10 Defendants – 1:13-cv-02501 (NDIL) | DieTrollDie

14. Pingback: Answering A BT Copyright Troll Summons/Complaint | DieTrollDie