Poll – Wireless Internet Access (How Do You Roll?)

I’m working on an article dealing with the wireless Internet connection many people run at their residence.  I figured a small poll of the readers would possibly provide some interesting information.  Please take a moment and take the poll.

Please make comments and/or provide any information or links on Wireless Internet access points, devices, security, etc.  Thanks

This entry was posted in open wifi and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Poll – Wireless Internet Access (How Do You Roll?)

1. Mr doeall says:

My neighbor flat out asked if I would open it up because the cable company wouldn’t run the necessary cables for him to get internet while the ground was still frozen, so we shared for about half a year.

Well I have run my WiFi Internet Access both open and closed at times. The time period it was open was because I had a network device that just would not work with security enabled. I did hours of trouble-shooting and finally just switched to “open.” I had it open for over a year and never any issues with excessive bandwidth usage or complaints from the ISP (DMCA, etc.), until that ISP/Troll notice showed up in the mail. Then the fun started. I have since upgrade the WiFi access point and other network devices and I’m back to closed. Not so much because I think I will get hit by another rogue user, but my bandwidth usage has increased over time. Once I got NetFlix, it really jumped.

3. We have the most of our infrastructure (5 stationary computers and entertainment pieces) wired with Cat 6 / 1GB network, which includes network printers and storage (full REID). We do run wireless for a couple of laptops that move around the home; guests use it as well. Currently we use WPA2 /w very long password. Our trusted neighbors know the key, as we know theirs: just an insurance when something happens with our connections.

We used to open my wireless time to time before, although I have no idea if that was a reason of the misdetection that brought me to this subject. It’s impossible to tell now: all the logs are lost, and we replaced our wireless router (and my main PC) between alleged infringement and a letter from my ISP. The mystery of my appearance on the troll’s list will be never solved.

Now I just give my visitors the password: most are trusted friends so I don’t care if they know the it, yet I had to change the password a couple of times when I had to allow access to my network by service people.

I did not check lately, but half a year ago I could see a dozen of wireless networks from my location, two of them open.

Funny I had some connection uses recently and decided to access the device. Denied! Something has happened to my Firewall/Router and it will not let me remote in. Still works fine for all the devices. I guess I’m going to have to do a hard reset and reload the security settling. This is a good point to remember – equipment does fail from time to time – It isn’t perfect.

5. Doe says:

My first router from my ISP came unsecured–they didn’t tell me and I had no idea. Funny things started going on in my computer (web resetting suddenly, notices my facebook and e-mail had been hacked) so I tried a number of things to fix it.

First I replaced the entire computer (it was five years old so I used that as an excuse to build a dream system) and a few months later got my first troll letter about an infringement that happened right around the time the weird stuff was going on months earlier so I figured the two must be related. Told the troll I got rid of the system a while ago (wiped it and donated it to charity and have the receipts to prove it); they threatened for a while but nothing came of it.

Fast forward to a couple of months down the road and weird stuff started happening again, but this time along with e-mail getting hacked I had some credit card info get stolen and am still going through a hassle trying to get that cleared up. Called my ISP and they sent me a new router (this time with WEP security enabled) and said I should probably check for trojans. I asked about the letter and if these troll-hits could have something to do with my other issues. They replied it was certainly possible but there was no way for them to tell if someone else had hacked my computer through my router but that it happens. Once again I took a “scorched Earth” policy and backed up my personal pictures and family videos then wiped my computer clean, re-installed windows and looked up (thanks to this website and FCT) how to enable WPA2. I’ve gotten yet another letter–fortunately no phone calls yet–but again I’ve got pretty good evidence of being a victim of hacking and identity theft as well as a clean computer (done before I’d gotten any notices from anyone) so I don’t think this will go anywhere either. Since taking that approach I’ve had no new issues or letters so hopefully this will all be over soon.

I checked last night and can see ELEVEN other routers from my home.

• Raul says:

Come to think of it, my wife’s email address and been hacked and was sending all of her business contacts and friends spam at about the same time the download supposedly occurred. Weird.

We run an open WiFi. After I received the letter from my ISP I had it password protected but that was a hassle for everyone. We have 1 stationary computer ( a 12 year old dinosaur-mine), the kids have laptops as does my wife. Also 4 iPods and an iPad. However I plan on having the WiFi password protected this summer. The reason being that in the summer a sleep away camp goes into operation which employs a large number of young counselors and social workers. The camp is across the road from my house about 1/4 mile away The download that set me down this road occurred last summer.

7. that anonymous coward says:

I use 2 tin cans and some string!!!
    Actually I use RFC 1149, and I am working on the adaptation of that to keep up with IPv6 (RFC 6214).

7 May 12 Update. I mentioned that I was having some problems with my WiFi Firewall/Router. All my devices could gain access to the Internet, but I was unable to access the Admin portion of the device with the non-default password. Well last night one of my users reported they couldn’t get out to the Internet. I took a look this morning and sure enough, WiFi users on my network were not getting out. Because I could not access the admin portion of the device, I had to reset the WiFi Firewall/Router to the factory default settings. Easy enough to do and I soon was resetting the WiFi Firewall/Router configuration. I took a look at the DHCP client table (which machines were using my network), but it was cleared because of the reset. Not sure if anyone had access to this device, but I can’t rule it our either. This is a top of the line small office/home WiFi Firewall/Router from a well respected company. Just goes to show you that equipment failures do occur and it is not your fault. I will check the device tonight to see if there is any unusual activity.

9. un-defended says:

I always hated the setup part of using wireless. The software is always too complicated to do it in an unattended setup and has always been a pain in the ass. After my experience with copyright trolls I abandoned wireless completely. Only hard wired connections for me from here on out. I refuse to be troll bait.